New year, new home?
Tue 30 Nov 2021
Paul Bennett, Director
Search through the online archives and you’ll find repeat reports that January has always historically been the busiest month for online property portals. Whether people realised that their home was too small for festive entertaining or they have made a New Year’s resolution to move in the coming months, January has that ‘blank page, new chapter’ feel that prompts so many of us to head to property websites.
January’s habit of being a record-breaking month for property enquiries has been well charted by Rightmove. In 2016, 127 million visits were made to the website in January – an increase of 20% when compared to 2015. In 2017, even more people looked at online property during the month, with browsing figures up 3%. The portal saw further growth in 2018, when there were an average of 4 million visits every day in January – representing a 9% increase.
While Brexit cast aspersions over 2019, there was still a rise in the number of people visiting Rightmove in January that year, while impressive site traffic increases were back on track in January 2020, when a 7% rise in online activity translated into 152 million views in the month. These figures aren’t unique to Rightmove either, having been echoed by OnTheMarket and Zoopla. The latter registered record levels of January traffic in 2020, delivering a 15% increase in online visits.
With millions of potential buyers poised to match, make - and perhaps break - new records in January 2022, sellers looking to take advantage of the seasonal spike still have time to get everything in place ready for a New Year launch. Don’t forget, Behr & Butchoff closes for Christmas on Tuesday 21st December and re-opens on Monday 3rd January 2022, so contact us now to be in pole position for January.
Your quick guide to getting online for the January rush
Now is a great time to book a valuation or even line up your January listing to ensure millions of home movers see your property at the start of the New Year. Our advice is as follows:-
1. Request a property valuation before 19th December: a Behr & Butchoff appraisals expert would be happy to meet you at your property at a time that suits you.
2. Instruct an agent without delay: having an agent on board before the holiday season is in full swing will be less stressful for everyone involved.
3. Sign all documents promptly: you’ll receive a contract from your agent and it needs signing – and returning – in order for any marketing to start.
4. Make your home available for photographs: online listings hinge on images, so ensure you can make space in your diary for photos to be taken well before Christmas Eve.
5. Hold off putting up your Christmas decorations: if you can’t resist, keep it subtle – warm white fairy lights, perhaps - or opt for something you can remove when your home is photographed.
Chat to our sales team today and we’ll start the ball rolling now so you’re online in plenty of time.