Hot property: 5 steps for a successful summer sale
Mon 07 Jun 2021
Paul Bennett, Director
When The Lovin’ Spoonful sang ‘hot town, summer in the city’, we very much doubt they had property buying and selling in mind. With the holiday months ahead of us, however, the London market is gearing up to stay open instead of winding down a little, as movers make up for lost time during last year’s strict lockdown.
Selling your home in summer does require a slightly different approach but the warmer, brighter months can present optimal conditions – gardens in full bloom, bifold doors that can be opened wide and natural light sweeping through the interior. If you’re thinking of selling a property you own this summer, you may like to consider the following advice.
1. Be flexible about property access: lighter evenings, warmer weather (hopefully) and spontaneous plans mean people will be juggling viewings with busy diaries, therefore they may request weekend and evening visits. Being flexible on the matter of property access is what’s required during the summer months, especially as movers can tire of their requests being rebuffed. Flexibility works both ways, however. If you think your plans will change at short notice, leave a key with your estate agent so viewings can take place while you’re out – but don’t forget a back door key so visitors can access any garden space.
2. Be willing to ‘dress’ outside areas: gardens in London have always been ‘nice to have’ but now they’re a deal breaker. From sprawling lawns and expansive roof terraces, to bijou courtyards and even balconies, set the scene with potted plants, furniture and tables that are laid for outdoor dining. Don’t forget to water your plants, mow lawns and weed flower beds for a polished look.
3. Be ready with a cold drink: if your viewings happen to fall in a heatwave, viewers will appreciate a bottle of cold water on arrival – especially if they’ve taken a stuffy Tube ride to get to your property. It’s also wise to air rooms, and to create a through breeze by keeping windows open and doors open.
4. Be prepared to clean your windows inside and out: if the sun makes an appearance, the glaring summer rays will show up every smudge, smear and spec of dirt on your windows, so make sure they are sparkling clean. Also pay attention to French and bifold doors, as finger marks and handprints will show up in the sun.
5. Be realistic about pricing: great news if you have a gym, a home office or a private garden but many sellers will get carried away with how much value these aspects can add. We encourage sellers not to be over optimistically greedy, as homes that are inaccurately priced can sit stubbornly on the summer market. Behr & Butchoff values properties with success in mind, with values designed to attract attention, encourage offers and lead to a straightforward sale.
If you would like to capitalize on the hot property market this summer, contact the Behr & Butchoff team today. We can start the marketing of your home within as little as 48 hours.